NORWOOD, Mass., Nov. 07, 2022 — MariMed, Inc. (“MariMed” or the “Company”) (CSE: MRMD) (OTCQX: MRMD), a leading multi-state cannabis operator focused on improving lives every day, today announced its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2022.
“I am pleased to report we grew revenue both year-over-year and sequentially, despite continued headwinds facing the entire industry,” said Bob Fireman, Chief Executive Officer. “MariMed continues to outperform these industry dynamics on the strength of our outstanding retail and wholesale operations, high quality and innovative product mix, and exceptional customer service.”
The following table summarizes the consolidated financial highlights for the three months ended September 30, 2022 and 2021 (in millions, except percentage amounts):
|Three months ended
|GAAP Net income||$||2.7||$||2.1|
|Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA||$||8.6||$||12.6|
|Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA margin||25||%||38||%|
1 See the reconciliations of non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measures and additional information about non-GAAP measures in the section entitled “Discussion of Non-GAAP Financial Measures” in the attached schedules.
MariMed management will host a conference call on Tuesday, November 8, 2022, to discuss these results at 8:00 a.m. Eastern time. The conference call may be accessed through MariMed’s Investor Relations website by clicking the following link: MariMed Q322 Earnings Webcast.
THIRD QUARTER OPERATIONAL HIGHLIGHTS
During the third quarter, the Company announced the following facets of its strategic growth plan, including:
- July 18: The approval of its expanded state-of-the-art kitchen in Maryland. The nearly ten-fold expansion allows the Company to produce all its award-winning branded products including Betty’s Eddies fruit chews, Bubby’s Baked baked goods, K Fusion chewable tablets, and Vibations High + Energy powdered drink mixes. The Company also introduced a line of gummies in the Maryland medical cannabis market, under the In-House brand.
- August 4: The launch of its new Betty’s Eddies ice cream in partnership with Boston-based Emack & Bolio’s® ice cream company. Betty’s Eddies ice cream is currently available in select cannabis dispensaries in Massachusetts.
- August 8: The acquisition of a conditional dispensary license in central eastern Illinois close to the Indiana border. Once open, it will mark the fifth Thrive branded dispensary the Company owns and operates in Illinois. MariMed currently owns and operates four adult-use dispensaries in Anna, Harrisburg, Metropolis, and Mt. Vernon.
- August 30: The launch of its Nature’s Heritage “LIVE Flower,” the freshest cannabis available. The unparalleled freshness is made possible through MariMed’s proprietary FreshCure curing process, which delivers buds that are bigger and brighter than conventional flower, bursting with more vibrant colors and stronger aromas while delivering a smoother smoke.
- September 12: The agreement to develop and manage a state-of-the-art production kitchen to manufacture and wholesale its award winning branded products in Missouri. Voters are expected to approve an adult use measure on the ballot this fall, and the Company expects its branded products will be available on the wholesale market before adult-use sales commence.
- September 13: The agreement with 42 Degrees, a Michigan licensed cannabis producer and distributor, to manufacture and distribute MariMed’s award-winning brands and products throughout the state. 42 Degrees currently wholesales products into 340 dispensaries, representing approximately 75 percent of the operating dispensaries in Michigan.
OTHER BUSINESS DEVELOPMENTS
Subsequent to the end of the third quarter, the Company announced the following business developments:
- October 5: The opening of its first medical dispensary in Annapolis, Maryland, marking the beginning of the Company’s fully vertical operations in that state. The Panacea Wellness dispensary is the eighth retail location across four states that MariMed either owns or manages. MariMed hosted a grand opening ceremony with several local, county, and state dignitaries in attendance to celebrate commencement of operations. Voters are expected to approve an adult use measure on the ballot this fall and MariMed expects to build out its footprint in Maryland to include the maximum allowable four dispensaries over time.
- October 25: The evolution of its award-winning and top-selling Betty’s Eddies fruit chews line to address consumer demand for cannabis edibles that meet specific needs. Each new or improved chew has been custom formulated to help aid sleep, relaxation, pain relief, heightened libido, and more.
“We remain bullish for continued revenue and earnings growth,” said Jon Levine, President. “Fueling our confidence are several new and expanded assets in our existing markets that will come online in 2023. Additionally, we look forward to our entry next year into additional high-growth cannabis markets, including Ohio, Missouri, and Michigan.”
2022 FINANCIAL GUIDANCE
MariMed remains committed to its proven strategic growth plan and continues to operate some of the best cannabis facilities with some of the highest margins and returns in the cannabis industry. Due to continued regulatory delays with opening dispensaries, the Company’s guidance for full year 2022 has been revised and is as follows:
- Revenue of $132 million to $135 million.
- Gross margin of 48% to 49%.
- Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA of $32 million to $35 million.
- Capital expenditures of $16 million to $17 million.
“Our financial results remain some of the best in the industry, as we have improved gross margins and delivered positive adjusted EBITDA for the eleventh consecutive quarter,” said Susan Villare, Chief Financial Officer. “Our ability to generate positive cash flow from operations in this challenging macro environment is a testament to the outstanding asset base that MariMed has developed and maintained.”
DISCUSSION OF NON-GAAP FINANCIAL MEASURES
The Company has provided in this release several non-GAAP financial measures: Non-GAAP EBITDA, Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA and non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA margin, as a supplement to Revenue, Gross margin, and other financial measures prepared in accordance with GAAP.
Management believes these non-GAAP financial measures are useful in reviewing and assessing the performance of the Company, as they provide meaningful operating results by excluding the effects of expenses that are not reflective of its operating business performance. In addition, the Company’s management uses these non-GAAP financial measures to understand and compare operating results across accounting periods and for financial and operational decision-making. The presentation of these non-GAAP measures is not intended to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP.
Management believes that investors and analysts benefit from considering non-GAAP financial measures in assessing the Company’s financial results and its ongoing business, as it allows for meaningful comparisons and analysis of trends in the business. In particular, non-GAAP adjusted EBITDA is used by many investors and analysts themselves, along with other metrics, to compare financial results across accounting periods and to those of peer companies.
As there are no standardized methods of calculating non-GAAP financial measures, the Company’s calculations may differ from those used by analysts, investors and other companies, even those within the cannabis industry, and therefore may not be directly comparable to similarly titled measures used by others.
Management defines non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA as net income, determined in accordance with GAAP, excluding the following items:
- interest income and interest expense;
- income taxes;
- depreciation of fixed assets;
- amortization of acquired intangible assets;
- Impairment or write-downs of intangible assets;
- stock-based compensation;
- legal settlements;
- acquisition-related and other;
- other income and other expense;
- and discontinued operations.
For further information, please refer to the Company’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the three month period ended September 30, 2022 available on MariMed’s Investor Relations website, on the SEC’s Edgar website in the U.S., or on the Canadian securities regulatory authorities’ SEDAR website in Canada.
MariMed Inc., a multi-state cannabis operator, is dedicated to improving lives every day through its high-quality products, its actions, and its values. The Company develops, owns, and manages seed to sale state-licensed cannabis facilities, which are models of excellence in horticultural principles, cannabis cultivation, cannabis-infused products, and dispensary operations. MariMed has an experienced management team that has produced consistent growth and success for the Company and its managed business units. Proprietary formulations created by the Company’s technicians are embedded in its top-selling and award-winning products and brands, including Betty’s Eddies, Nature’s Heritage, Bubby’s Baked, K Fusion, Kalm Fusion, and Vibations: High + Energy. For additional information, visit www.marimedinc.com.