Company Advances Premium Brand Driven Strategy, Laying a Foundation for Long-Term Sustainable Growth and Profitability
SMITHS FALLS, ON – Canopy Growth Corporation (“Canopy Growth” or the “Company”) (TSX: WEED) (NASDAQ: CGC) today announces its financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended March 31, 2022. All financial information in this press release is reported in Canadian dollars, unless otherwise indicated.
- The Company progressed its leading North American brand driven strategy with Canopy Growth entering into plans to acquire Wana Brands, the #1 cannabis edibles brand in North America, and Jetty Extracts (“Jetty”), a top 10 Cannabis brand in California, adding to the robust brand portfolio.
- Premium brands gained ground with Canadian consumers with Company maintaining #1 share of premium flower category throughout FY20221, led by in demand offerings from Doja, 7ACRES and 7ACRES Collective brands; and improved market share performance in the mainstream flower category in Q4 FY2022 with the Tweed rebrand and new Tweed product offerings in flower and beverages.
- Storz & Bickel posted 22nd year of consecutive revenue growth in FY2022; strong consumer demand for Storz & Bickel vaporizers including the new VOLCANO ONYX and MIGHTY+ drove 21% increase in revenue in Q4 FY2022 versus Q4 FY2021.
- Increased distribution of BioSteel hydration products drove year-over-year revenue growth in FY2022 of 56% versus FY2021. Focusing strategic investments to accelerating brand growth with aspiration to be top 4 player in the North American sports drink market.
- As a result of company transitional activities, the Company generated Net revenue of $520 million in FY2022, representing a decline of 5% versus FY2021.
- Through restructuring actions that were previously announced on April 26, 2022, management expects to generate COGS savings of $30 – $50 million and SG&A expense reductions of $70 – $100 million, both within 12 to 18 months.
“Canopy Growth is building the industry’s leading portfolio of premium brands across North America. We’ve taken concrete steps to advance this ambition by strengthening our positioning in Canada, further adding two high performance brands to our portfolio with Wana Brands and Jetty Extracts, bolstering our U.S. THC ecosystem. In the fiscal year ahead, we will remain focused on growing our market share in the key segments that will drive profitable growth and continuing to scale our premium brands across North America.” – David Klein, Chief Executive Officer
“Achieving profitability is critical and we have undertaken additional initiatives to streamline and drive efficiencies for our global cannabis business. In FY2023, we are focused on executing our path to profitability in Canada, while we continue to invest in high potential opportunities – particularly in BioSteel, and further developing our U.S. THC ecosystem, which we believe remains significantly under-appreciated by the market.”- Judy Hong, Chief Financial Officer